Tuesday 1 September 2015

Handy Patchwork Bag

With so many projects on-the-go at once I always ended up with carrier bags everywhere and I forget what is in which and it's not a good way to work.
Work bags are a quick and fun way to get into patchwork or try new designs using up the ever expanding stash.
I made this bag which is perfect for any project but would be great for knitting as it's wide enough to take long needles. You can make the bag any size or shape you like.

I had several small pieces of cotton fabric in greens and blues so I just mixed them up randomly with white. When the size was big enough I quilted it with some thin batting and white cotton backing, then simply folded it in half and sewed up the sides, adding some piping to neaten the edge, some handles and a button.
 I use a sewing machine but if you don't have one or you enjoy hand stitching you can still make this.
The idea for the design came from this pretty quilt below which I found on Craftsy and gives the details of how to piece together small rectangles into this stunning heart design without any difficult piecing.
Sort your stash and if you've never tried before, have a go! If you have no stash, small packs of cotton fabrics can be bought on line or at local fabric or hobby shops, if you are lucky to have one nearby. You can cut up old cotton shirts and dresses too!

No comments:

Post a Comment